Re: Packages.bz2, Sources.bz2, Contents-*.bz2, oh my

Hello!

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 05:16:15AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 23:05, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
>
> > That will also break rsyncing them, which saves a lot.
>
> Let's just keep pestering gzip upstream to include the rsyncable patch.

I want to second this, as the low-bandwidth, low-featured computer
branded one.

This would allow to retrieve package diff's (with jigdo, rsync or
whatever), instead of re-downloading the everyday bigger .deb's,
just because three lines were added to the README file.

Another issue is, that at my observation bzip2 is muuuch slower on
computers with little (available) memory, so spared download time
reverts to wasted decompression time.  It should not be a problem to
have plain-text Package files as well as .gz and .bz2 on a mirror, so
the downloading user can select between download speed and processing
speed at will.

Regards,

	Jorge-León