Re: The harden-*flaws packages.

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 05:01:14PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 04:09:21PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > > If you want a program to check for security flaws please use one designed for that
> > > precisely. Tiger is such a program. Just have the *flaws package recommend: or
> > > depend: on tiger.
> >
> > On the other hand tigher does a lot of other things too. But the link
> > you gave me was very interesting.
>
> Tiger can be configured easily to just check *one* thing. Just customize the cron
> job at will.

That can be interesting for the harden-*flaws pacakges (or similar).

> (..)
> >
> > Agreed. Without having too much digging in tiger it might be a good
> > idea. The contact I have had with tiger is not very pleasant because it
> > bugged me with a lot of non-issues. That is maybe the reason why I
> > deinstalled it. :)
>
> There are still false positives in tiger, the template mechanism, however, takes
> care so that an admin just sees a security warning *once* and not in every run of
> the security test script (It's a simple diff, mind you, but it works)

Ahh that looks great. Last time I checked it did not. Now I might be
able to use it again. :)

Now we just have to solve the upload-to-security problem, or simply
write some other check that scans the security.d.o web pages and
make clever things of it. Maybe using tiger, maybe some other things. But
because tiger can do similar things that might be useful.

Regards,

// Ola