Re: woody CD not bootable with adaptec + scsi-cdrom

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 06:51:16AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> I the discovered that the woody CD (linuxtag prerelease) doesn't
> boot. I heard of similar for the real woody release CDs on irc.
>
> Can anyone boot the CDs, which one of the set and what hardware?
> Same if you can't boot.
>
> Also whats different between potato and woody? potato has this
> multiboot thing and woody not anymore, right? What was wrong with
> it? Seems to be more compatible the old way.

Before the woody release, it became clear that many people needed
different kernels for their hardware: Quite a few need bf24 for their
new hardware (e.g. USB keyboard), others need vanilla for their
ancient hardware. See <http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#bootable> for
info on the different flavours.

At the same time, it was considered important to allow installation
using just the first CD, so somebody came up with the multiboot idea.

Experiments then showed that multiboot didn't work on some machines -
*however*, this can be said of all methods which allow you to choose
between several images at boot time.

So the final solution was to use multiboot only on the first CD, the
other CDs use the same method as potato. The few machines on which it
fails are either old or have a SCSI CD-ROM, booting from one of the
later CDs should work for them. AFAIK if the woody release multiboot
CD fails, it even prints a message which tells you to do that.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _