Re: apt-get wants to upgrade package to same version?

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 06:21, Brian May wrote:

> I suspect this is a more general problem with apt-get that it assumes
> that if two versions of the same package are available from different
> sources, then both packages will be exactly the same. As such, it will
> always use the Packages entry from the first Packages file it finds,
> because it assumes the other entries will be the same anyway.

That isn't what apt-get is doing.

The pins are used to determine which of all the available versions for
the package are candidates for installation, in Ludovic's case both the
woody and unstable versions are candidates (both have pin > now).

Once that's done, you have a list of candidate versions.  First the
highest version will be selected, in Ludovic's they both have the same
version, so they're both selected.

Now the version listed first in the sources.list is selected, because
that's your most preferred source.

There's no assumption going on here about the content of the package,
it's simply selecting which of the available packages you mean it to
download.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant     Have you ever, ever felt like this?  Had strange
http://netsplit.com/      things happen?  Are you going round the twist?