Re: Convenient way to enable IDE DMA

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 12:45:54PM -0700, Nate Eldredge wrote:
> > The other question is how it should be enabled.  One way is "hdparm -d 1
> > /dev/hd?" or moral equivalent in an init script.  Another way appears to
> > be "hda=dma ..." or "ide0=dma ..." on the kernel command line, though I
> > haven't tested this yet.  Apparently there are also CD-ROM drives for
> > which it should not be enabled.
>
> Further info: "hda=dma" doesn't seem to exist, I was mistaken.  "ide0=dma"
> doesn't actually enable dma, for some reason.  "ide0=autotune" doesn't
> either.  Grr.
>
> As for hdparm, this is complicated with ide-scsi.  For ide-scsi to work
> you have to make the ide-cd module ignore the scsi-ified drive.  In which
> case /dev/hdc or whatever it is won't work until you have loaded the
> ide-scsi module, perhaps by touching /dev/scd0.  So at least in my setup,
> further complications are needed.
>
> (Btw: a nice way to enable ide-scsi might be nice as well.  CD burners are
> becoming very common.)

You mean something like maybe with 2.4:

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

Substitute PDC202XX/VIA82CXXX for your chipset(s), of course.

Also, devfs makes the scripts more sane if you wanna do hdparm things at
bootup since you only see the devices you've actually got in the
filesystem.  If someday a Debian installation uses 2.4+ kernels only,
Debian should be using devfs by default.  Won't happen till then because
Herbert Xu would sooner cut his wrists than apply a patch to Debian's
kernels which was not required to make the thing compile and boot.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>      You're entitled to my opinion

<elmo> unclean: err, the admin team do not control the archive, that's the
       ftp cabal
<elmo> get your cabals right, damn it :-P