Re: /bin/login hanging around

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> Why is it that /bin/login seems to hang around for the duration of the user's
> session on other distributions but not on Debian?

Traditional Unix does it the we way do; login exec's the user's shell, etc.
Other distributions seem to come with whiz-bang pam modules that need to do
cleanup on logout, so login forks to run pam_close_session().; we don't
configure things like that by default.

If you love the other distribution's behavior, set CLOSE_SESSIONS to yes in
/etc/login.defs.

This may become a default in future versions of the shadow package.

kcr