Re: png2/3 problem apparently successfully solved with -Bsymbolic

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:16:23PM +0200, Luca Barbieri wrote:
> > using -Bsymbolic ensures that whenever the libpng library makes a call to
> > one of its own functions, the symbol is resolved internally instead of to
> > another version of libpng that's loaded.  This may account for a majority
> > of the segfaults that people are seeing.  It does not affect how symbols
> > are resolved when something /outside/ of libpng tries to call a function
> > belonging to libpng.
> That's why I said that all libraries that use libpng must also use
> -Bsymbolic.

No, that doesn't help at all.  -Bsymbolic only helps if the symbol you're
looking for is *inside the library calling it*.  It has no effect on how
resolving is done when a library calls a function from another library.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer