Re: Are libtool .la files in non-dev library packages bugs?

>> Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:

 > Yes, and this breaks the whole idea of SONAMES. I wonder how such shit
 > has ever been allowed to enter Debian.

 Are we still talking about plug-ins here?  I had that impression.

 Say, how is a SONAME useful for a plugin?  A plug-in is not something
 you link directly into a program (that's the whole point of it), so it
 has no bussiness living in any directory that the dynamic linker
 searches.  For the purposes of a plug-in, a namespace is as good a
 soname.  If you desing your plug-in system in any sensible way, the
 user tells you "open foo" and your program will go looking for
 /usr/lib/bar/plugin-foo.so or whatever naming scheme makes you happy.
 The point is, you'll have your very own area where you can set up your
 very own mess.

--
Marcelo             | He'd been particularly pleased with Manchester.
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- Crowley contemplating his achievements