Re: GCC 3.2 transition

martin@v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) writes:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

>> My concern is that locally compiled apps built against C++
>> libraries other than libstdc++ will silently stop working on
>> upgrade.  This is certainly not the most important issue facing us
>> in the transition, but so far it seems to me that people are
>> regarding it as so *un*important that it's not worth discussing at
>> all.
>
> The breakage will not be silent: On startup of the application, they
> will give an error message indicating the problem. I think that
> problem is best solved by educating the users that such problems might
> happen.

This is not how Debian has done similar transitions in the past: libc4
to libc5, and libc5 to libc6, did not cause this breakage in Debian.
Old programs continued to work without user or operator intervention
(in fact libc4 binaries still work _today_ on some Debian systems.)

If you change the ABI, you change the soname.  That's what it's _for_.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/