Re: GCC 3.2 transition

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:34:00PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> vorlon@netexpress.net (Steve Langasek)  wrote on 16.08.02 in <[🔎] 20020816161748.GC5568@netexpress.net>:

> > From the heated discussion I've just had on IRC, I've gathered the
> > following:

> > * It is assumed that for the vast majority of C++ libs we ship, upstream
> >   has already transitioned to using the GCC 3.2 ABI, therefore our
> >   current packages are already binary-incompatible with the rest of the
> >   world. (ok)

> Is this maybe "will already have ... when we release"?

> Because otherwise, this is obvious nonsense. 3.2 was released *yesterday*.
> I am pretty certain 99% of all upstreams haven't even realized yet that
> 3.2 exists. *No* distribution currently ships with 3.2.[1]

> Our current packages may or may not be incompatible, but not for this
> reason.

The claim was, that it's already too late to prevent binary
incompatibility for some libraries.  Whether this is because some distros
have already shipped with a post-2.95.x ABI, or whether this is because
it's too late to stop certain distros from shipping with the 3.2 ABI, I
don't know.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer