Re: chroot administration

Russell Coker writes:
> If software can't be freely used for any purpose then it can't be
> released under the GPL.  The NSA assert that they have the right to
> release under the GPL and that therefore the patent issues have been
> dealt with.

Was the work done by NSA employees?  If so it can be treated as if it were
in the public domain no matter what license NSA attaches to it (that's NSAs
work in isolation, of course, not the modified kernel as a whole).  As for
the Section 7 issue, note that a court judgement or allegation of
infringement must 'impose conditions'.  Has this happened?  If so the other
kernel authors may have grounds to sue to stop distribution by whomever the
connditions have been imposed upon.

> If the SCC directly challenge this then they will immediately face the
> DoJ.

SCC can sue you for infringing their patent without sueing NSA, no matter
what licensing arrangement you have with NSA.  The copyright is irrelevant
to the patents.  That is what I meant by 'orthogonal'.

IMHO until SCC actually initiates legal action their is no GPL violation.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)