dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot error

Hi all,

Could someone please help me interpret this clisp 2.28 build error:

$dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is clisp
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 1:2.28-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Will Newton <will@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
sh: debian/rules: /usr/bin/make: bad interpreter: Permission denied

debian/rules starts with the line:
#!/usr/bin/make -f

And the clean section contains:

clean:
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp

        # Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
        rm -rf debian/build

        dh_clean

I get the same error running as user or root. I am following the
instructions set out here (though I'm not a maintainer, I just want to
compile clisp with regexp support):
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-build.en.html

I have all the build-essentials packages installed.

In a reply from last year Matt Zimmerman stated "I'm working on getting
clisp to build correctly on all architectures, so that the new version
can get into testing.   I'm going to put off adding more complexity at
this point; once the base package builds correctly everywhere, I'll work
on getting optional features in." NB maintainer is now Will Newton.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=118818&repeatmerged=yes

Regards,
Adam