Re: Library namespace conflicts

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 04:40:43AM -0400, Simon Law wrote:

> 	I grant you that, this piece of software is a young 'un;
> although I'm surprised that this didn't come up any sooner.  (Lucky us.)
>
> 	I don't think either library has more than one piece of software
> that currently requires it; but this could change for libdnet.sf.net in
> the future, seeing as there is activity on the nmap mailing lists.
> Since you've had the name for such a long time, I'd like to defer
> judgement to you.  What do you think is a reasonable way to handle this?
> Rename one of the libraries and tweak code that depends on it?  Rename
> one of the libraries and make them both conflict with each other?
> Provide libdnet.sf.net in fragroute and link statically?

I think there are only a 2 real options:

1. Link libdnet.sf.net programs statically.
   Not nice if there are going to be a few of them, but maybe an acceptable
   solution for one or two packages.
2  Rename libdnet.sf.net to something else. IMHO it's a slightly daft name
   anyway but I supposed I'm biased :-)

I think making my libdnet and libdnet.sf.net conflict is not helpful - I was
actually considering using libdnet.sf.net for one of my projects at one time but
it didn't do quite what I wanted. The only conflict is in name, not
functionality.

I also don't really want to rename the DECnet libs as things like X-windows
(honest!) expect it to be there if you enable DECnet as an X transport. OK,
granted it's not in very common use but you might be surprised how many people
DO use it.

--

patrick