Re: tmpfs filesystem and deb package builds

Richard Braakman wrote:

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:05:18PM -0500, Jon Marler wrote:

Apparently, if /tmp is a tmpfs filesystem (new in 2.4.x Linux kernels) qmail
compiles fine, but when dpkg --build debian/tmp is executed, several directories
are left out of the .deb.  If you run the same exact script on an ext2, ext3,
reiserfs filesystem, it works perfectly.

I haven't been able to make heads or tails of it, and was wondering if anyone
else had seen similar behavior?

It's probably a problem with the link counts.  Some tmpfs versions have
a bug where if you move a directory, the link counts for its old and new
parent directories are not updated.  This then confuses 'find'.

Upgrading your kernel should help.  Sorry, I don't remember which version --
I backpatched mine.

Making it use 'find -noleaf' should fix it as well, if find's link count optimization

is what's triggering the problem.  (man find).

I wonder if dpkg-deb shouldn't use that instead, for safety's sake. I wouldn't think it's looking at so many directories that the optimization makes much difference.

Assuming that the original premise is correct.