Re: ITO: LILO

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:09:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Scott Dier wrote:
> > Does GRUB support something like the lilo
> > on-next-boot-only-boot-this-option (-R ?) feature yet?  IE: boot into
> > windows, but when windows reboots, boot into the default. (linux)
> >
> > Without this, getting rid of LILO will be hard.
>
> I don't think it can, but it should be simple to adapt the existing
> savedefault command to save something other than the selected menu item
> as the default for the next boot.

	The easiest way is to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to say
something different under the "default 0" entry.  Say, change the 0 to a
1.  Since GRUB reads its menu file every boot, it is functionally
equivalent.

	Actually, more flexible, come to think of it.  You can do a lot
of restart-hackery with SysV scripts and sed.  Yikes!

Simon