Re: ITO: LILO

On Aug 05, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Why is it asking so much that maintainers should say *something* about
> the bug in the changelog entry where it's being closed?  This is not an
> RDBMS; duplicating information is not a sin.  Yet every time someone is
> criticized for the use of changelog entries which are indeed quite
> useless, there is no dearth of developers rising to the defense of this
> ridiculous practice.  I can understand trying to save a few words if the
> maintainer has a physical disability.  Do we really have so many
> developers for whom summarizing a bug costs so much effort?

No, I believe it has more to do with the fact that Lazarus Long has a
very irritating habit of expressing his opinions in the rudest
possible way.  If he actually contributed anything other than his
opinions to the project, the behavior might be tolearable (see de
Raadt, Theo), but since he doesn't the effect is that he mainly pisses
people off, even when he does have something valid to say (which he
might in this case - but that's neither here nor there).  See
e.g. http://bugs.debian.org/146884 (where Lazarus basically wants to
whine about the dependencies of a package that was imported by
reportbug).

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@phy.olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager, Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Mississippi
125B Lewis Hall - 662-915-5765