Re: What is /var/backups for?

Gerhard> I found a directory called /var/backups on my debian system
Gerhard> but haven't found it described in the FHS. - Nobody of my
Gerhard> debian-loving friends knew what this directory was either.

Steve> In particular, /etc/cron.daily/standard (part of the cron
Steve> package) saves /etc/{passwd,group,shadow,gshadow} and a copy
Steve> /var/lib/dpkg/status.

Hmm, I didn't know about the last one.  I wonder if it makes sense for
dpkg to keep /var/lib/dpkg/status.old then; it seems just waste of space.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087