Re: intel's Linux compiler w/ Debian

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:35:54PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > Not so - AMD Palominos and Thuroughbreds support all of the Intel
> > instructions and, naturally enough, the AMD chips are faster even with the
> > Intel compiler..  Intel is .. displeased by this.
>
> wow.  I was under the impression Intel's compiler did better work using their
> knowledge of the pipelines and what not.

You'd think, wouldn't you?  As I said, Intel is Not Happy about this turn
of events.  Of course, the benchmarking and comparison was done using
Intel's win32 compiler, but I doubt their Linux compiler is all that
significantly different a beast.

> Either way gcc works just fine at $0 whereas the Intel is $399.

I'll drink to that!

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>     I N33D MY G4M3Z, D00D!!!!111!!
                                                      (Just ... don't ask)

<Deek> If the user points the gun at his foot and pulls the trigger, it
       is our job to ensure the bullet gets where it's supposed to.