Re: Release management and testing problems

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 04:20:52PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> If we have libfoo1 and libfoo1-dev generated by source package libfoo
> (or libfoo1) in testing, and we upload to unstable new libraries
> libfoo2 and libfoo2-dev using libfoo2 as the source package name, what
> exactly prevent those new packages to enter testing in ten days provided
> they are bug-free? Nothing.

(note: libfoo1-dev and libfoo2-dev are often called just libfoo-dev;
this means that the build-depends does not need to be changed)

If libfoo1 and libfoo2 conflict....
(yes, this is not good; I am not sure if any libraries are still
guilty of this or not).

If some packages depend on libfoo1 in testing, and some depend on
libfoo2, and libfoo1 conflicts with libfoo2, then this isn't very good
for testing. I am not sure how this case is currently handled.

How would you force packages in testing to be recompiled with libfoo2?

Would this require a new upload? However, no source code has changed.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>