Re: no md5sums for essential packages?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 12:28:32PM +0200, Alexander Neumann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Recently I was playing around with debsums, a nice little tool which
> checks the MD5sums of installed packages. Then I discovered that on my
> actual sarge a lot of packages exist without MD5sums, even some
> essential packages like bash.
>
> Is there a reason why these packages doesn't have MD5sums?

No reason, however in the docs there is an example line to put in apt.conf
to automatically generate md5sum files for every package that doesn't
contain them.

So after you do an upgrade you get a pile of lines like:

Generating missing md5sums for package xxx...

It's very convenient for finding broken files when your laptop battery dies
just after you've done a dist-upgrade :)

Hope this helps,