Re: Debian 3.0r1

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 08:03:11PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> They should not go into stable if they *need* to be updated regularily.
> If they don't need to, no problem.  For virus scanners data, it would
> be a good idea to add an auto-update facility the user can choose to
> use to update the data files instead of using the static stable packages.

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as just updating the
virus signatures on every upgrade.

There are hacks in /usr/sbin/amavisd, for instance, the unmangle_sender
routine to be precise, that attempts to guess the "true" sender name
(and not a the forged address) based on the virus that was detected.

I would imagine that this needs to be kept up to date.

Yes, this function could be seperated into a data file, but what are you
gaining by seperating it? A user could break amavis just be replacing
it with a bad version, just the same as a user could break amavis be
installing a broken version of the deb package from stable.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>