Re: Accepted sdl-image1.2 1.2.2-1 (i386 source)

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> immo vero scripsit:

> > If Debian wants to do a Debian local hack to one of its core
> > libraries, which makes it binary-incompatible,
> > then we might as well start changing SONAMEs of random libraries
> > ignoring upstream, as some libraries in Debian already are doing.
>
> But, this is precisely what you are proposing when you suggest changing
> the SONAME of every library that links against libpng!  At least with
> versioned symbols, binaries built on other platforms have a chance of
> working on Debian systems (as long as they don't link in too many copies
> of libpng).  With your proposed change, we will be permanently
> incompatible with other distros -- not just during the libpng2->libpng3
> transition, but afterwards, as well.

No, I think we are incompatible now.
AFAIK, other distros have started recompiling their binaries against png3.

By not changing the soname, we are doing disservice to the
free software community as a whole.
Our libgtk2.0 links against libpng2, while other distros have
it linked against libpng3, for example.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4