Re: Shared library defines a RPATH

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Darren Salt wrote:
> Wishlist items...?
>
> * A rpath- or runpath-like approach, where the paths are relative to one of
>   the default search directories.

I am told the runpath stuff in the new ELF standard fills this place.  So
far, it appears to be the best fix.

> * Embedding of relative pathnames in the library, e.g. instead of setting
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/foo (or similarly for rpath) for a binary which
>   requires libbar.so from that directory, have it linked to foo/libbar.so.

Now, that isn't too bad either, but it might break things in very surprising
ways (if ld.so supports that, which I am not too sure of).  ld.so should
then search all the standard places for foo/libbar.so then... (I don't know
how this would play with the ld.so.cache, I haven't delved that deep in
ld.so).

This sounds like a good feature, IMHO.  Provided it is sane (which I am not
too sure about, since I didn't spend too much time thinking about it yet).

  Henrique Holschuh