'Admin Provides' Meta package - [lib troubles]was[linux software?]
> > Find an RPM that solves the dependancy issue.
> > (This will save the consistency of your RPM database).
> That's the right way on an rpm-based system.
> Jan Carlson janc at kubwa dot com
Agreed. Though it can't always be done.
- Packages provides the right thing but called the wrong name.
= Hopefully LSB compliance will help.
= Think Mandrake RPM's on a RH box.
- Package maintainer is woefully behind and you need the new
It would be interesting to have the following:
- 'Admin provides' meta-package (rpm/deb)
= Allows you to specify what you've compiled
and installed by hand.
- A GUI front-end to the meta-package that allows you to
check-box click a 'provides' item.
- A method for adding new 'provides' entries.
- Add new provides 'nurbs++'
= Provides the following libs.
Then upgrade the 'Admin provides' meta-package.
Obvious options include:
- Stealing provides from other packages (rpm/deb).
- Comments about the override.
... And you end up with a documented method for reasoning
with dependency inconsistencies.
I wonder what debian-devel would think? :}
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact email@example.com