Re: base-files and /dev

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:47:41AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On a devfs system the /dev you see is not a directory provided by any
> package, it is the root directory of a file system mounted by the kernel.

It seems that is the root of the problem.

When you refer to /dev you could mean one of two things:

1. /dev on root filesystem. This is the file provided by the
base-files package, and the file to be relabeled.

2. /dev on external filesystem, which should not be relabeled
if the external file system is devfs. (I guess you could, in theory
have /dev on another filesystem, but I am not sure why you would
want to bother...).

Just another solution, would it perhaps be better to make both device_t,
but modify devfs to allow a readonly option?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>