Re: Accepted sdl-image1.2 1.2.2-1 (i386 source)

>> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

 > Actually, I think we should actually get the LSB to propose that ALL
 > libraries be compiled with symbol versioning [in the future].  Is
 > there any sort of drawbacks with such a policy?

 After a couple of iterations over ld.info, I don't see any drawback
 other than the maintainance overhead.  If we are talking about
 versioned symbols á là libdb3 (all the symbols in the library have the
 same version, this avoids the kind of trouble we are having with
 libpng), the overhead is minimal.  If we are talking about the
 glibc-style (one library contains multiple versions of the symbols) the
 overhead is larger.  I'm sure the glibc people have already came up
 with ways to handle that.  The whole thing is not particularly portable
 (but then again, a whole bunch of stuff involving the linux linker
 isn't portable either).

--
Marcelo