Re: dpkg-source v2

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 02:41, Marc Haber wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2002 17:14:20 -0400, Colin Walters <walters@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >So, if you'd like to help me make sure we have a good next-generation
> >build system, then please test dpkg-source v2!
>
> Does dpkg-source v2 allow "debian third party patches"? We routinely
> take a debian source package (for example foo_1.0-4), apply our own
> patch to the source package (for example, disabling some options in
> the configure call) to give foo_1.0-4tpl4. Currently, this needs
> manual intervention (dpkg-source, apply tpl patch, build package), and
> it is clumsy if more changes are involved.
>
> Can dpkg-source v2 handle such things automatically?

Hmm...if I understand your situation correctly, the answer is currently
no.  I suppose that dpkg-source v2 could look at an environment variable
like DPKG_SOURCE_EXTRA_PATCHES=/path/to/extra/patches, and apply those
during the unpacking process.  That might help you script things a
little more nicely.  But you can't use debian/patches to do stuff like
patch debian/changelog.

Basically, it seems to me that you're not going to get anything more
automatic that what you're doing now (without knowing more about
precisely what you're doing).