Re: dpkg-source v2

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 12:50:21AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
> > ** Changes to the upstream source will NOT be preserved when building
> > a non-native version 2 archive.  You must generate a patch, and put it
> > in debian/patches.  See below.
> This feels like a large step backwards to me. When I produced redhat source
> packages back in the day, having to do patches manually was a big time
> waster. I became a lot more productive when I moved to debian's source
> format. Sure, if you need separated patches, you probably have to do it
> manually but someone like me who keeps track of all changes with cvs and
> has no need for separated diffs should not have to do all the diffs by
> hand.

It might be nice to autogenerate patches named after the version number
in the changelog. It'd be relatively straightforward, I think:

	* run the debian/rules clean target (clean up .o's etc, but don't
	  unpatch)
	* make a new tree, unpack, apply existing patches
	* run a diff from the current tree against the new tree, if there are
	  differences, create the new patch
	* make the new patch be listed after all the existing patches, or make
	  it depend on all the exiting patches, or similar

This'd be nice for NMUs, where you have to worry about doing those
diffs by hand to send to the BTS, if nothing else.

Cheers,
aj