Re: apologies and summary. was: Where is Debian going?

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 11:52:13PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:49:13 -0300
> "Ben Armstrong" <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 09:59:04AM +0200, giuseppe bonacci wrote:
> > > Since so many serious
> > > developers out there believe that "Debian is perfect just the way it
> > > is", I must be wrong, and what I perceive like paradoxes to a closer
> > > look must reveal as brilliant features.
> >
> > Bollox.  I was one of the objectors and I certainly don't believe Debian
> > is perfect the way it is.  This isn't an apology.  This is a slap in the
> > face.  Yes, you can bet your booties I'm stopping reading here.  You
> > can't possibly have anything worth listening to with such a big chip on
> > your shoulder.
> >
> > *plonk*
> >

> Relax dude, he was just voicing his opinion, wether you agree with him or
> not you should at least respect he had good intentions.

No, I'm sorry.  In light of the statement I quote above I cannot see his
good intentions.

> Effective communication is very important for any project/group, we are
> doing ourselves a great dis-service by constantly berating those who see
> things a bit differently.

I'm not berating him for seeing things differently.  I'm calling him on his
double-speak.  He claims to apologize, and then rips into the developer
community for being complacent.  This is not merely a friendly exchange of
ideas, it is both hostile and a distortion of the truth.

> There is no rule placing a limit on the amount of discussion on any
> particular issue.... if you cant handle it start a moderated m-l.

While there is no rule, keeping the signal-to-noise ratio on this list as
high as possible is certainly worth fighting for.  My first note was far
more polite and merely mentioned that he should have looked at the archives
first.  There is no point covering the same ground over and over again with
nothing new injected into each discussion.

> There is no reason to be rude.

And his sarcastic accusations are polite?

Ben