Bug#152631: ITP: grokking-the-gimp -- Grokking the GIMP is the online version of Carey Bunks' GIMP tutorial book.
Version: N/A; reported 2002-07-11
* Package name : grokking-the-gimp
Version : 1.0
Upstream Author : Carey Bunks <email@example.com>
* URL : http://www.gimp-savvy.org/book
* License : Open Publication License
Description : Grokking the GIMP is the online version of Carey Bunks' GIMP tutorial book.
This is the HTML version of "Grokking the GIMP", an excellent
introduction to the GIMP and to image processing in general. It covers
the basic GIMP tools, layers, selections, masks, color spaces, color
manipulations, photo touchup and enhancement, compositing, shadows,
punchouts, bevels, and how to use the GIMP to create online content
(animated GIFs, clickable image maps etc).
"Grokking the GIMP" is very readable and includes lots of example
Now a few questions for debian-devel:
1) The license. Is the Open Publication License acceptable for Debian?
2) The source. Grokking the GIMP is a HTML version of a book written in
LaTeX. I have asked upstream for permission to package the HTML
version, but I have not yet asked whether the LaTeX is available, but
I think it isn't. Is that a problem?
3) The GIFs. "Grokking the GIMP" includes about 28 MB of GIFs. Should
I convert them to PNG, as there are patent issues with GIFs? The
license allows modifications, and I think using PNGs might also save
4) The name. The book's title is "Grokking the GIMP"; thus the most
obvious package name would be "grokking-the-gimp". Renaming it to
"gimp-grokking" would not reflect the original title so well, but it
would be closer to the other gimp packages on the package list.
5) The GIMP documentation. Do you think it would be useful to include
"Grokking the GIMP" in the GIMP's help menu if it is installed? I
have not yet asked the GIMP maintainer whether it is feasible or
whether he would want to do that. What do you think?
6) The size. "Grokking the GIMP" is a 26 MB .tar.gz. This is a little
hard for people on 56K. Would it make sense to create another
package with graphics in a lower quality? Or would this just be
I hope you can help me.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.0
Kernel: Linux zarathustra 2.5.25-aisotton #2 Sat Jul 6 18:18:14 CEST 2002 i686
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C
-- no debconf information
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact email@example.com