[ANNOUNCE] GNUTLS support in ELinks/links-ssl ([FIXED] Re: openssl copyright)

> Afaics links-ssl breaks copyright as it is, it links against openssl
> and is GPL, those two licenses are incompatible.  fetchmail-ssl and
> mutt also had this problem, and found two different solutions: mutt
> uses gnutls instead of OpenSSL, fetchmail's upstream changed the
> copyright:
> | Specific permission is granted for the GPLed code in this distribition
> | to be linked to OpenSSL without invoking GPL clause 2(b).
>
> Iirc aj mentioned in one of his releases status updates, that this is
> really a problem.

So I hopefully fixed the problem for debian people. Now, ELinks supports both
OpenSSL and GNUTLS parallely, letting the user choose at compile-time (when
./configure is ran with --with-gnutls or OpenSSL is not found, ELinks attempts
to link with GNUTLS). So, ELinks (debian links-ssl package) should be hopefully
legally ok now (or, well, there're some possible problems with licences of
codepage descriptions in Unicode/ subdir; but I need someone else's opinion on
that, and hopefully it's not so serious). Maybe Links people will want to
backport this as well..?

Still, I strongly recommend NOT to use GNUTLS for users who don't intend to
distribute/publish binaries they produce. GNUTLS is in rapid development yet,
thus not stable enough; also, the GNUTLS support in ELinks is yet only very
poorly tested, and there can be bugs in it yet, altough this morning I
hopefully already fixed all problem places I'm aware of.

GNUTLS support is now in CVS, will appear in today's nightly snapshot after
midnight CET and will be in ELinks-0.4pre11.

I choose this way instead of modifying the license because there are 95
contributors (de facto copyright holders) to ELinks and asking permission
(probably written) from all of them is unrealistic ;).

With hope that he made everyone happy now,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis

* IRCnet operator                  * FreeCiv AI occassional hacker
.
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men,
for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of
us all." -- John Maynard Keynes
.