Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 01:29:33AM -0400, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:21, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:41:59AM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > This comes up every now and then and deserves a FAQ entry (if it hasn't one
> > already).
>
> These can all be fixed in the kernel, it has all the necessary information.
>
> Shall we fix the kernel first and then deal with /etc/mtab?

Well, as I say in the other email, the contents of /etc/mtab is essentially
arbitrary. If mount supported an authentication protocol to enable access to
an NFS server, the details would be stored in /etc/mtab. However, these have
nothing to do with the kernel.

What you are suggesting is an in memory file that mount can write anything
it wants to. The kernel cannot meaningfully do checking on the contents. If
you want that, perhaps you should suggest the creating of a /proc/temp for
this purpose.