Re: nigerian scam in debian-devel...

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 05:34:29PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 07:25:31PM +0300, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:44:30PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > For the message I'm replying to, I get:

> > > which means we could eliminate even more spam if we used a more recent
> > > spamassassin version (for example, the one in woody).
> >
> > and enable razor support, which would eliminate even more spam.
>
> Razor has been known to catch things like Debian security advisories ...
> I'm not sure that using it on the Debian lists is a great idea.
> SpamAssassin is much less vulnerable to random people messing about with
> its idea of what is spam and what isn't.

I would agree that it would be bad to use razor on mail sent _BY_ the
lists. But mail sent _TO_ the lists could be checked by Razor before
being distributed fairly safely.

It is only after a mail has been distributed to many people that it is
likely to generate a false positive in Razor.

However, Razor 1 is obsolete, and quickly being phased out for these
reasons (I'm not sure how long Vipul will continue to support it).
Razor 2 (not yet in Debian) is very unstable right now, and I doubt
it's a good thing for Debian Lists. (Razor 2 had gone through ten
releases in about 2 weeks, as of a few days ago)

--
Duncan Findlay