Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 12:21:40PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:41:59AM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > > The same information is available in /proc/mounts. In fact, /proc/mounts is
> > > more accurate e.g. after lazy umounts (umount -l).
> >
> > Untrue. /proc/mounts lists bind-mounts differently, and doesn't list
> > my / properly:
>
> Not just that, it also mean that loopback devices won't be automatically
> unallocated when used in loopback mounts, because /proc/mounts does not
> store all the required info.
> /dev/loop0 /mnt/iso/potato1 iso9660 ro 0 0

Also, diskquotas won't work since the quota options aren't reflected in
/proc/mounts.

> This comes up every now and then and deserves a FAQ entry (if it hasn't one
> already).

It's a valid complaint.  The duplication of similar information is bad,
and /etc/mtab is cleaner as a symlink.  I would like to see the additional
information in /etc/mtab put into /proc/mounts too, though I appreciate
it's difficult (since the kernel does not know about these extra bits of
information; it's all handled in userspace by mount/umount).

--
Roger Leigh
                ** Registration Number: 151826, http://counter.li.org **