packaging libraries the "right way"?

Hi,

I have been working on a package that includes a shared library - vpopmail.

The previous maintainer used libtool to create the shared library. Is this
the right way to do things in debian or is there no standard way?

Is there any information on how libtool should be used with debian? I
understand that there is an issue with -rpath. And I have seen the
LIBTOOL_IS_A_FOOL patch. Is this still necessary with the versions in woody?

anyhelp appreciated, Iain.
--
public key available at http://www.minihub.org/~iain/iain.asc