Re: debconf2 keysigning

[Some changes below, *important ones* please read! I really need people to get their keys in by the end of the month now. more below. Thanks to Peter Palfrader for the information on how Linux Kongress 2000 did it. The address to send your public key to, again, is <keysign@ringworld.org>]

Scott Dier wrote:
On Friday, July 5th, from 4:30-6:00pm there is some time alloted for
having a formal keysigning.  I decided since Joe Drew hasn't heard
  2) Such person prints up a ton of copies of this list.

This isn't true anymore. I'm going to email a URL to all people involved with the list of fingerprints. I'm going to make a md5sum of such list and announce it at the event. Each person will verify (stand up, say name, say its correct) that the fingerprint as seen on list with that md5sum is correct. The URL will be sent out on July 1st.

For people unable to deal with this setup, *don't panic*, we will fall back and have those paticular people verify after I've read their fingerprint.

  4) After all fingerprints are verified, people go about doing ID checks
  with each other and mingling, etc.  This can take a while.  Upside is
  that since the fingerprint verification has already happened it takes
  less time.

Depending on who feels comfortable with it and how well it works this step might be that we take a digital photograph and display it on a overhead projector (if possible) and have each person stand up front so everyone can verify their identity. This of course has its downsides (not everyone likes not actually touching the form of ID, etc.) but could be much faster depending on how many people are part of the formal keysigning process. If it doesn't work out, falling back to the original plan is fine, just takes more time. If we have a 'small' number of people, it might just be eaiser and faster to follow the original plan.

Thanks!

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/