Re: should automake1.6 "provide" automake?

* Steve M. Robbins (steven.robbins@videotron.ca) wrote:
> Eric writes:
>
> > I've thought about this a lot as well, and unfortunately I agree
> > with both of you :) It is extremely irritating that all the automake
> > packages don't provide "automake". But the way things stand now
> > packages depend on automake when they mean automake1.4,
>
> We don't know that.  It is entirely possible that all the packages
> that build-depend on automake really do build with automake 1.6.
>
> Don't forget that we have been in this situation (with automake1.5
> providing automake) since last October, and no bug has been filed
> on 1.5 because of it.
>

> > One then that I could do that hasn't been suggested yet is making
> > another virtual package called "automaken" and have all the
> > automakes provide that. When a package needs an unversioned
> > dependency on automake then could just use that (similar to emacs'
> > "emacsen"). Is this a better solution?
>
> Apart from the unappealing aesthetics, this is not really different
> from my proposed solution.  We could
>
> a) have automake1.6 provide automake
>    Ramifications: a package that build-depends on automake, but really wants
>    automake1.4 must be modified to use a versioned depend.
>
> or
>
> b) have all automake packages provide "automaken"
>    Ramifications: any package that depends on "any version of automake"
>    must have its dependency modified.
>
> Using solution (a) there *may* be packages that need modification.
> Using solution (b) there *are* packages that need modification.

Right, but solution (a) may break things, but solution (b) will not.

> In any case, the fix is so trivial that you can just email me
> the bug reports and I'll personally NMU all the packages that
> fail to build due to automake1.6 providing automake.

I guess it basically boils down to are we willing to break things a
little now and force people to fix it, go through all the work of
figuring out what packages are broken and filing bugs/doing NMU's, or
just leave it alone for now and hopefully maintainers will fix it
themselves. I know Uekawa-san will disagree with the first solution,
but does anyone else think its a good or bad idea?

--
Eric Dorland <dorland@lords.com>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com