Re: Bad stuff after todays apt-get upgrade

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 08:44:08PM -0500, Craig Dooley wrote:
> Im not sure if anybody has noticed a similar problem, but it's bad.
> su segfaults, login just dumps back into login, and klogd causes
> kernel panics with failure to dereference null pointer.  if i could
> log in as root somehow i would find out which packages I updated
> today, but I can only remember syslinux, which i cant see doing this
> horrible of damage.  Any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks

And you didn't reboot your system after this upgrade?

Kernel panics == kernel bugs.  If you're seeing a kernel panic with
klogd, chances are that this is also the source of the segfault for
login and su.  If you didn't reboot to a new kernel that was installed
as part of the upgrade, then the gravest error you described here had
nothing to do with your upgrade.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer