Re: SuSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux to do a new distribution togerther?

Dennis Wecker wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 21:28, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > German users can read:
> > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/odi-29.05.02-000/
> >
> > which states that Calerda, Connectiva, SuSE and TurboLinux will
> > cooperate in making a new linux distribution together...
> > I wonder why they don't use Debian ;)
> >
> > Original article:
> > http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=720&a=27405,00.asp
> >
> > Gruss,
> > Erich Schubert
>
> ....the beginn of the end?? or what will suse, caldera... reach with this
> step? i hate this commercial stuff and thinking....

I guess, it's because a) development costs are quite high and b) each
of the affilliated companies have a high market share in one region,
and they hope to expand their market share by combining efforts.

UnitedLinux will be a source-only distribution, based on RPM and YaST,
which will then be used as basis for their own in-house distribution
for the *server* market (hence, the desktop version is not (yet) affected).

fwiw: X, X libs, KDE etc. are mentioned in the whitepaper, so it's
really for the server...

By having only the source code (a source code?  maybe not the current?)
at publically accessable ftp sites, it's not really useful for the
community, I guess.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a good idea.