Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I think this will not be a problem.  Since the Zaurus divides up its 64M
> into storage and operating RAM, the user should be able to trade off some of
> one for the other.

It has 10 megs of storage, and 20-ish of ram.

> It is possible to upgrade the internal RAM?  I did not realize this.

I think I mean just adding more storage, and giving the 10m of storage back to
the device.

> The consumer model (the 5500, which I have) is the same way.  You need to
> connect a microphone to the headset jack, as is done with telephone type
> headsets.

Ah, that makes sense.

> I think that the most interesting dpkg type thing that would help, you are
> already doing or have done.  That would be the exclusion feature, which
> would save a lot of space during installation and upgrades by not unpacking
> documentation.

I had a patch(simple, really) that did that.  However, Wichert and I wanted
something more generic, so it's not in current dpkg(nor in 1.10, in cvs).

> I am still figuring out the hardware side of things, but as far as I can
> tell, MMC cards and SD cards are two different types of media which have the
> same form factor.  I happen to have an SD card, and so I will need the SD
> driver to make use of that media, but I could still use an MMC card without
> it.  Is that your understanding as well?  Or are you saying that an SD card
> could be treated as an MMC card?

An SD card is an SD card, an MMC card is an MMC card.  However, devices that
take MMC cards can take SD cards, but it's not the other way around.