Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 04:59:39AM -0400, Mark Eichin wrote:

> > source Zaurus images[0], but as far as I can tell, none of them are
> > using the Debian package management system proper.  Debian already
> > contains
>
> Don't forget to look at the iPaq distributions (using ipkg, which is as
> far as I can tell a really-stripped-down dpkg-like thing...) "familiar" is
> the old one, but I haven't kept up in months and it is a pretty active
> community.

Yes, there are quite a few of these.  I hardly see the point, though, of
repackaging a ton of software in 'ipkg' format when we already have a ton of
working infrastructure and existing packages for debs.  Frankly, I can't
imagine why anyone would want to try to duplicate the effort that has been
put into Debian/ARM.

> (Note also that people seem to be more likely to run "full" debian-arm on
> an ipaq, because the CF sleeve takes a microdrive easily :)

I have heard of people using a microdrive on the Zaurus as well.  Depending
on the performance, it could make for a very nice Debian system.  However,
as far as I can tell, it is not possible to boot the system from removable
media, so we would still need a micro-distribution to fit in flash.

--
 - mdz