Re: The automake issue, and why crippling 1.6 is a bad plan

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 12:09:18AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net> immo vero scripsit:
>
> > Okay, let's see if we can put this as simply as possible, for everyone
> > involved:
>
> I can provide simple steps in 2 lines:
>
> 1. get automake1.6 installed into Debian
> 2. Update build-depends of packages to automake1.6 (repeat 300 times)
>

> What is so crippling about that?

As if it had not been said enough times already:

It prevents you using automake 1.4/1.5/1.7/$next_upstream_version with
those packages, despite the fact that these versions might work, and
we have to update all the build-deps when the next,
backwards-compatible release of automake comes out. Version-specific
build-depenencies should be reserved for things which depend on a
specific version.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK