Re: The automake issue, and why crippling 1.6 is a bad plan

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 03:57:35AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> Okay, let's see if we can put this as simply as possible, for everyone
> involved:

...followed by around a hundred lines of text. Maybe we could try for
something a little simpler, eh?

> Debian had an automake package which was 1.5, but this was quickly
> reverted to 1.4 for the woody release.  The details of this don't matter,

Actually they do matter. They matter because they demonstrate that the
obvious way of doing this breaks things horribly, and thus should be done.

>   - It'd probably be wise to replace automake with automake1.4 and have
>     automake be a virtual dependency.

The particular result of fixing up the mess introduced by automake 1.5
is that, no, it probably would *not* be wise to do this.

> Once again, there is no automagic way to fix this problem.

And that's almost certainly wrong too.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''