Re: This is how packaging should be done.

On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 07:37 AM, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
What about the idea that anyone (not just maintainers) can submit
packages and they will available immediately to others without
having to go through an intermediate person.

In contrast, Debian allows only specific people to add new packages
and only the maintainer can fix their packages. This requires work
by specific people which makes development slow.

Jeremiah, I think what you are looking for is this:

http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/

Anyone can create their own apt source repository, and add it to this list which is then immediately made available to the public. Then any user can read this list and at their own discretion, add as many or as few of these sources to their /etc/apt/sources.list file. Guess how many I am using?

--
Paul Baker

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
         -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc