Re: Request for packager: OpenOffice.org Quickstarter

Hi ..

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 03:17:47PM +0200, Stefan Schwandter wrote:
>> > I have to think about this once again. What's your opinion on that?
>> I think it should go in there.  Just because OOo isn't there - it works
>> with that, or Star Office 5.2 or 6 and people will be using all of those
>> too.

Thats Ok I think, providing a package like that, if the software is
commonly comming from third party ..

>> The reason for OOo not being in Debian yet are more to do with the
>> complexities of packaging a monster like that.

We have the worst case. OpenOffice.org depends on j2sdk/j2re. This
causes us, to let OpenOffice.org off debian and fix the packaging and
hopefully the non-free dependency, so we have a change to get it into
debian main!

>Of course. But from the policy:
>>Every package in main and non-US/main must comply with the DFSG
>>(Debian Free Software Guidelines).
>>
>>In addition, the packages in main
>>
>>* must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
>>  execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
>>  "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
>>  package),
>Ok. So we're only allowed to use a "Suggests". Quoting from the
>policy:
>>Suggests
>>This is used to declare that one package may be more useful with one
>>or more others. Using this field tells the packaging system and the
>>user that the listed packages are related to this one and can perhaps
>>enhance its usefulness, but that installing this one without them is
>>perfectly reasonable.
>Hmm. How reasonable is it to install ooqstart without openoffice.org?

What about StarOffice .. if someone installs it from Binary, downloaded
from Sun/bought from Sun?
They will not have OpenOffice.org installed and can use the quickstarter

>I would like to get my package into debian, and I also don't think
>that ooqstart would hurt anyone if it got in.

You may put it on the mirrors, where OpenOffice.org packages are
already.

	Regards
		Jan

--
  .''`.    Jan-Hendrik Palic     |
 : :' : ** Debian GNU/ Linux **  |   ** OpenOffice.org **         ,.. ,..