Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

Emmanuel le Chevoir <emmanuel.lechevoir@hsc.fr> wrote:

> Give me a break. Do you really think that a *server* needs XFree at all?

No, *I* don't think so. Read the thread before posting.

> And if it runs XFree anyway, do you really think it has the
> latest-hardcore-gamer-targeted videocard ? I personally don't believe

*I* am not the one who choses the hardware. There are some projects,
people buy PCs for these projects, their choice is limited by contracts
passed between our company and a PC manufacturer. You have to cope with
what you get. It *will* be recent hardware, because this is what is sold.

> it. Or we don't have the same definition of a _server_.

It is not a simple question of getting some services up and running. It
is a question of convincing close-minded people that Debian can do all
what Mandrake can (for the purposes they briefly talked me about) *and*
is easier to administer.

> Oh well. a server you said... You meant a home computer didn't you ? :)

I already said the word "server" is vague. You know, nearly every home
computer running Linux is a server (ssh, ftp, smtp are frequently used
options).

In my case, the people talked me about a machine internal to our
network, where people will connect to, in graphical mode first
(transitions have to be soft, some of them prefer using UltraEdit and
FTP from Windows when they are coding on an Unix machine... you see,
they want to be able to run nedit), do some random work, probably use
CVS for some projects, store the finished projects there and have them
available through FTP. I don't know more about it. No, it will not be a
www.microsoft.com-like server, if that is the only thing you call
"server".

I just know that if every time a new machine comes here and has Linux to
be installed on it, I tell them "Debian OK, but no X", they will always
keep thinking that their Mandrake is better. And I will have to help
them when something breaks, and I will know that what they give to
clients is security-shit, because they never update their own Mandrakes,
even when I tell them about recent important security issues, and this
will be bad publicity for Linux among the clients, and so on, and I am
tired with this thread, which was definitely not intended as a "XFree
4.2 isn't in Debian" thread, as I explained in my last message. <sigh>

Ah, and I am on the list, in case you didn't read the thread.

--
Florent