Re: chrony vs. hwclock.sh hwclockfirst.sh

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 06:21:37PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> I installed the chrony package to keep my computer's clock correct via
> my brief once a day modem connects.  But before I start making calls:
> I notice hwclock.sh, hwclockfirst.sh are still sitting in /etc/init.d
> even after chrony has moved in too.  Weren't these incompatible?

First of all you need a package which is setting the system clock from the
hardware clock at boot time. This is done by the hwclockfirst script.

Second the scripts are never called directly in /etc/init.d/ therefore there
is no need for one packge to mess with the files of another. Of course
hwclockfirst.sh is linked from /etc/rcS.d once after boot.

Crony conflicts with ntpdate since it is another way of updating the clock
by net, there is no need to confict with the hwclock package, since the
initial clock set is needed.

Chrony is activated in ip-up.d.

Greetings
Bernd