Re: How to package device files?

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:19:46PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Michael Stone wrote:
> > It also
> > conflicts with devfs.
>
> How does it conflict?  I'd like to fix it if it does.  dpkg doesn't have to be
> limiting in this regard, and, in fact, it should play nice with devfs.

Until we have the ability to trim parts of the filesystem from dpkg,
it'll be a problem. (This is, of course, a long-standing request, e.g.,
for /usr/share.) Basically, it just doesn't make sense for dpkg to
install a device node on devfs. The node won't persist accross boots,
and will already exist in most cases (unless the required
hardware/module isn't there, in which case the point is moot.)
Maintainer scripts should test whether devfs is present before running
MAKEDEV, but special-casing that in dpkg seems silly.

--
Mike Stone