Re: Path for php-includes

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:46:44PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:58:53PM +0200, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've a package with php-includes. At the moments I copy them to
> > /usr/lib/<package> and add an entry to httpd.conf so that /usr/lib/ is added
> > to the php_include_path. But is there a path which works at every debian php
> > installation? If not it would be a good thing to change this. Because it's
> > senceless if php4, php4-cgi and php3 have all different include_path's.
> > What do you think? I tried to find out how phplib handles this problem, but I
> > didn't spy it out.

> Why don't you put it inside a <Location> or <Directory> tag? Then
> you will not have that problem at all.

Well, for starters, anything that would be referenced by the
php_include_path is by definition platform-independent data and belongs
in /usr/share, not in /usr/lib.  Secondly, putting this include information
inside of a <Location> or <Directory> section is not the right solution
at all: if this package is a web app that only needs related apps to
know the path, then the information should be placed in a .htaccess file
instead of modifying the system httpd.conf, and neither .htaccess /nor/
httpd.conf will help much if the app is being run under php4-cgi.

In woody+1, I believe we're moving toward having a common /usr/share/php/
directory that can be used for PHP classes, analagous to the directories
already in existence for perl, python, and other languages.  I suspect
that the namespace within that directory will largely be managed
according to whatever rules upstream has established for PEAR.

As far as PHP3 goes, I don't think the community ever had its act
together well enough for it to be worth supporting a common PHP3
includes directory.  It's certainly not worth adding one for woody+1,
IMHO.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer