Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On 25-May-02 11:26:57 Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
 WV> On Sat, 25 May 2002, Fabian Sturm wrote:
>> On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 03:58:26PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> > If a sysadmin allows too many freedoms to a user, you're likely
>> > to end up in big problems. Clueless users trying to 'play' with a
>> > system can accidentally make a mistake and fry the work of
>> > hundreds of co-workers without the intend of doing so.
>>
>> I didnt say that the system should make it possible to mess
>> with other peoples data, but I should be able to play in my own
>> environment without limitation.

 WV> 'without limitation'?

WV> Diskspace costs money too, for example. Unlimited diskspace is nice,
WV> but only few companies can afford it.

Doesn't the inherent design of the Hurd make it a natural for distributed
computing environments? Meaning if someone really wants more drive space
for their stuff then thay can spend $100 or less and add 40 gigs to their
personal environment.

[snip]

 WV> Giving people freedom requires restricting other freedoms, to
 WV> prevent less important freedoms to interfere with more important
 WV> ones. Think about that one for a second ;-)

[snip]

Ok so there is a matter of having your cake and eating it to. Perhaps the
following can be re-written so that it's clear that ones freedom does not
include "freedom to take freedom away from others". Re-written in computer
speak or even better in the Hurd speak.

----
The Universal Law Preamble

The purpose of human life is to prosper and live happily.
The function of society is to guarantee those conditions that allow all
individuals to fulfill their purpose. Those conditions can be guaranteed
through a constitution that forbids the use of initiatory force or
coercion by any person or group against any individual:

The Constitution

Article 1:   No person, group of persons, or government
may initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against any individual's
self or property.

Article 2:   Force may be morally and legally used only in defense
against those who violate Article 1.

Article 3:   No exceptions shall ever exist to Articles 1 and 2.
----

Where the only force being applied to prevent abuses is? Isolation via
permissions given or not to mess with stuff you do not own?

And there is the hackers ethic to consider as well, where having access to
the world doesn't mean you can change it but you can make a copy and
change your copy and even share your copy with others.

The Hacker Ethic:
-------------------
Access to computers - and anything which might teach you something
about the way the world works - should be unlimited and total.
Always yield to the Hands-On Imperative.

All information should be free.

Mistrust Authority - Promote Decentralization.

Hackers should be judged by their hacking, not bogus criteria,
such as degrees, age, race, or position.

You can create art and beauty on a computer.

Computers can change your life for the better.

Off Topic? not if it leads to clairity once and for all in regards to
freedom and security issues of the Hurd.

---
Timothy Rue
Email @ mailto:timrue@mindspring.com
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/